Master's in Translational Research in Biomedicine
The Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics (MBG) at Democritus University of Thrace (DUTH) announces a call for the submission of applications for admission to the Master’s Programme of Studies entitled “TRANSLATIONAL RESEARCH IN BIOMEDICINE” Molecular diagnostics, biomarkers and targeted therapies for the academic year 2019-20.
Objective of the Programme is to provide high quality graduate education in the field of Molecular Biology and Genetics with a focus on Translational Research. Bridging basic laboratory research with clinical practice, Translational Research aims to leverage research findings and state-of-the-art technologies in Molecular Biosciences for the development of novel methods in diagnostics and therapeutics. Students will become familiarized with the basic principles and skills required for the analysis of the genome and protein expression on a large scale, biological markers analysis, as well as the development of novel drugs, diagnostic approaches and treatments. Furthermore, students will be trained in the principles of bioethics and clinical trials regulations, biosafety, academic and
research skills and entrepreneurship. The Programme graduates will be equipped to pursue careers in biomedical research, biotechnology and molecular diagnostics and seek prospects in academic and research institutions and laboratories, biomedical and diagnostic laboratories, as well as the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry. Courses are coordinated by the faculty members of the Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics at DUTH, in collaboration with the Medical School at DUTH as well as prominent researchers and faculty members from Universities and Research Institutes both within Greece and abroad. The Programme faculty will include representatives from the sector of biotechnology and the pharmaceutical industry, further broadening the range of career
perspectives of our students. Pursuing an international environment, the languages of the Programme are English and Greek. Diploma dissertation may be written either in Greek or in English.
Applications are accepted from graduates or final year students from Departments of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Medicine, Biology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Biological Applications and Technologies, Pharmacy, Chemistry, Veterinary Medicine, Informatics, Statistics, Diet and Nutrition, Agricultural Sciences or other relevant disciplines. The Programme is annual and intensive, including the summer period, and comprising of two semesters with courses and a diploma thesis. The total tuition fees are €3,000 (€800 at the acceptance of the candidate by the MBG, €1.200 by January 15th , 2017 (first semester) and € 1.000 by June 15th
, 2017 (second semester). Courses will commence in October 2019. Scholarships are awarded (up to a maximum of 30% of the students) on the basis of excellence of academic results over the previous two semesters, resulting in a reduction in tuition fees, with the exemption of the last payment. A limited number of academic scholarships are granted under the Erasmus+ program for students to perform their thesis abroad.
Applicants should submit to the Programme Secretariat the following documents by Monday September 30, 2019 (courrier or mail stamp shown on envelope - address: Library of School of Health Sciences, Democritus University of Thrace, University Campus Dragana, Alexandroupolis University Campus, 68100 Alexandroupolis,Greece
- Application (available at the Programme website).
- CV outlining the applicant’s academic background as well as research and professional experience.
- Certified copy of Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma or certification about the expected date of graduation. Graduates from Universities outside Greece should also submit a confirmation that they have applied for recognition of their degree by the National Academic Recognition Information Center, http://www.doatap.gr). Successful applicants who have not yet completed their studies at the time of the application, will have to submit their academic titles upon registration. If the title is still not available at that time, certification about the completion of studies will have to be submitted upon registration and the title will have to be submitted by the end of the calendar year at the latest.
- Diploma supplement or detailed transcript of academic record.
- Certification of competence in English (level B1 or higher)
- Two (2) letters of recommendation (letters can also be submitted separately at the Programme Secretariat or by email to Mr Sotiris Tsompanoudis, email@example.com)
- Any other document that may be useful for the evaluation of the application.
Documents 1 and 2 should also be submitted electronically by Monday September 30, 2019 to Mr Sotiris Tsompanoudis, (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Selection will be based on the following criteria:
- Grade Point Average and detailed transcript.
- Grades at courses relevant to the Programme.
- Certified English language skills.
- Letters of recommendation.
- Additional CV details that may be submitted by the applicant.
Following the initial evaluation of applications, the top tier applicants may be invited to a phone interview. Applicants will be informed about the outcome of the evaluation by October 4, 2019. Additional information about the Programme and the Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics at Democritus University of Thrace are available at our website (https://www.mbg.duth.gr/translationalresearch/ ) as well as the Programme Secretariat (Mr Sotiris Tsompanoudis, email@example.com, tel. +302551030517).